I mentioned before here that my bedroom has always been the “unfinished” room in our apartment. I feel as though everyone has at least one of these in their home. The space where everything works, it just doesn’t flow very well and is not quite where you want it to be. That has always been our bedroom. I knew I wanted to update a few things but didn’t really want to spend a lot of money doing so. While searching for inspiration I stumbled across this and this on the Anthropologie website. I really loved the simplicity and the pops of colour the duvet cover had and decided I could probably make it myself for pretty cheap.
Here are the supplies I used to finish the project:
- 2 White Bedsheets
- Martha Stewart “Saffron” Paint
- 140 pieces of Embroidery Thread in a variety of colours
- These pillows from Modcloth
- A Plain White Bedskirt
- Black Paint
- Black Thread
I started by sewing black lines on one bed sheet. It was a little hard to keep the lines straight but by marking spots about twelve inches from the side of the sheet all the way down and then following them as I sewed really helped keep things straight. After finishing the black lines I sewed both sheets together (leaving a small opening at the bottom for the duvet). I’m planning on adding buttons to the end to close up that opening, but I haven’t gotten around to that yet. Oops!
To finish off the duvet cover I made about 300 tassels out of embroidery thread. That number sounds insane, I know. I thought it would take me a very long time to finish them all but it really did go quicker than I thought. I parked myself in front of the T.V. for a little bit each night and was finished them within a few days. I think the trick with this is to not try to rush to get them done. If you’re expecting to do them all in one sitting you will probably find yourself getting very frustrated.
As I was working on the duvet Jordan painted our headboard! I’m so glad we finally decided to go ahead with it. It’s something we’ve been talking about for a while now but couldn’t decide on a colour. This took him a little while because we chose to use paint over spray paint. It ends up being a lot cheaper, but you have to really take your time doing many thin coats to stop the paint from streaking.
I finished the duvet by hand sewing all of the tassels around the edge of both the duvet and pillow cases. This is another project you will want to be watching a movie or show as you’re doing it. Also, a thimble is key. I managed to lose mine right before starting this project and by the end my thumbs were so sore!
I finished the project by following this tutorial to make polka dots on the bedskirt using a q-tip. I have been searching for a bedskirt for a while now but they all seem to be too plain or too frilly. Once I saw the tutorial for polka dot napkins I knew I wanted to try it to recreate the bedskirt I found on Antropologie.
This was a pretty big project but I’m so happy with how it turned out. It was just the update our room was needing. All in all this project cost us around 50 dollars. That’s a pretty big saving for doing everything ourselves!
I hope you’re all having a great week!